Thursday, July 12, 2012

Celebrating My Mom

My mom is a breast cancer survivor, one of the very best friends a daughter could have, and my hero. In October 1998, I heard some of the scariest words my mom has ever said to me, "they found a lump and it's cancer." I'll never forget that moment. She survived with humor and grace. She is one of the strongest people I know. Thank God.

On top of being a great mom, she is also a fantastic grandmother. Every year, my sons and I make a pilgrammage with her and my dad (and 25,000 other people!) to Cal Expo in Sacramento on the day before Mother's Day to take part in the Race for the Cure. We proudly celebrate my mom's survival.  This LO shows the race pictures for 2011. I've lost a couple good friends to breast cancer. I always race in memory of those wonderful ladies too.

The lay-out also has been entered into Crop Chocolate (CC) Challenge 22, Pastels and Bling. The challenge is to use pastels combined with dark bold colors and a bit of bling thrown in for good measure. This is a perfect challenge for the Race LO.

I used the Pep Squad sizzix letters I got for a CHEAP price on CC. Gluing these skinny letters onto a project is a big ole pain. I thought, well let me try to run them through my Xyron sticker maker I also got for a CHEAP price on CC. I had walked by these things in craft stores and wondered what I'd ever use it for. Since CC was selling it SO cheap, I got it - and found I use it a lot. You can run the letters through and peel 'em off.  So easy!






Other products I used:
Basic Grey Kioshi Paper
Bazzill Light Pink and Dark Pink Cardstock
Itty Bitty Blossoms
Ribbon from Websters Pages
Imaginesce I-rocks
TH distress ink
Buttons and string

The final product:


My mom is the beautiful woman on the right. I am so thankful to have such a wonderful (and CRAFTY) mom! Just as a reminder, get your mammograms annually!!! It could save your life.

Craftily yours,

Karen (karey2005)

3 comments:

  1. Congrats on your mom being a 14-year cancer survivor . . . I know from experience it's not an easy thing to go thru, but as long as you have family, faith and humor, you can do it. Love your LO and especially love it because you are "Celebrating Mom". GREAT job, Karen!!! Kathy (clayton528 on CC)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely story! My mom has leukemia so I understand how scary it is to hear those words! Beautiful LO!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is Karen's Mom. One of the major thing that helped me through the diagnosis and treatment was the wonderful support of my family and friends. Thank you for the kind words Karen. Love your Mom. PS: Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete